Intro to Scientific Documents with LaTeX Online
Note: This workshop is online only.
Are you a UVic student or Staff member and want to learn more about creating scientific articles and reports? This workshop will introduce you to the LaTex document preparation system using OverLeaf.
“LaTeX, which is pronounced «Lah-tech» or «Lay-tech», is a document preparation system for high-quality typesetting. It is most often used for medium-to-large technical or scientific documents but it can be used for almost any form of publishing.” - from LaTex-Project.org
“LaTeX is intended to provide a high-level, descriptive markup language. LaTeX attempts to follow the design philosophy of separating presentation from content, so that authors can focus on the content of what they are writing without attending simultaneously to its visual appearance. In preparing a LaTeX document, the author specifies the logical structure using simple, familiar concepts such as chapter, section, table, figure, etc., and lets the LaTeX system handle the formatting and layout of these structures.” - from Wikipedia.org
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Write your first LaTeX document
- Create a table of contents, sections, and title page
- Insert and refer to figures, tables, mathematical equations, and references
- Tuesday, November 28, 2023
- 11:30am - 1:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.