Intro to Design for Laser Cutting Online
Note: This workshop will be held online via Zoom.
Laser cutting is a process for cutting materials to create 2D and 3D designs. From a digital file, laser cutters use computer controlled high powered lasers to engrave or cut wood, metal, paper and more with high precision.
Laser cutting is a fast and accurate way to engrave objects, make boxes, and more!
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Explain to others the pros and cons of laser cutting relative to 3D printing
- Explain to others acceptable materials for laser cutting and why certain materials are not acceptable
- Explain what kerf is and how to account for it when designing
- Describe the difference between vector and raster cuts for engraving
- Select appropriate 2D or 3D design software for laser applications
- Find objects and designs online for laser cutting
- Create and modify 2D designs for engraving
- Design a 3D object with tab features for joining
- Export designs to .svg file format
- Wednesday, September 27, 2023
- 11:30am - 1:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.